We are always chasing something – him, her, jobs, children, life, love, success. We are always telling ourselves that when we achieve ________ we will gain happiness.While all of these things make us temporarily happy, it doesn’t last. Event-based happiness is fleeting. Happiness is synthetic: you either create it or you don’t. Lasting happiness is something that you earn through your habits.
Here are things to do and tell yourself to maintain happiness:
- Take a deep and slow down.
- I am not weak or wrong for having the feelings that I have.
- Surround yourself with the right people.
- I can do this.
- I cannot settle.
- Being in love is not easy or effortless, it is a roller-coaster.
- Admitting I am wrong is more important than always being right.
- Be optimistic with your day.
- Get your sleep while you can.
- Have at least one meaningful conversation a day.
- I will work to achieve something; sitting on my ass won’t get me anywhere.
- It is okay to feel heartbreak; it means it was real and worth it.
- Maintain a growth mindset. I will improve with all of my efforts.
- I will evaluate my moods and make the decision to be happy.
- I am allowed to leave a job that I am unhappy in.
- I am allowed to leave a relationship that I am unhappy in.
- Everyone is scared.
- I will put myself first.
- I will be humble.
- Laughter should always be a priority.
Happiness can be a tough thing to maintain but investing in happiness will always be the right choice. When you are happy, the people around you will be happy. Choose happiness.