Let the slaying begin, folks! Buffy the Vampire Slayer turns 20 years old today!
Feel old yet? I know I do.
It goes without saying that Joss Whedon is the master of late ’90’s, early ’00 television. The first episode premiered on March 10th, 1997 filled with classic goofy puns and ’90’s fashion. The series finished on May 30, 2003 and has been iconic ever since.
Here are some lessons that I learned over the years watching the series and continued to learn when I rewatched the series not to long ago.
- There will be times that you give your heart to someone and they will hand it back to you.
- You don’t get to choose your family, but remember they are family, you have to take care of them just as much as they have to take care of you.
- Shit happens and when it does, it usually happens for no damn good reason at all.
- You can, and most times will, be your own worst enemy.
- Surround yourself with good people and one good friend who will help you save yourself from you.
- In this life there is only one you, don’t let anyone tell you that you can’t be who you want to be.
- Love doesn’t always find a way.
- The people in your life should always appreciate you for your strengths and appreciate you even more for your weaknesses.
- It is important to protect yourself: body, mind, soul and heart.
- ‘Bite Me,’ will always be an effective comeback.
- Life isn’t always going to be rainbows and unicorns.
- Everything we do in life has consequences.
- It is important to find time to be alone with yourself.
- There will always be loss in this life.
- Love is blind.
- People are both good and bad.
- Everything is better with chocolate.
- Grammar is important people.
- Honesty is ALWAYS the best policy.
- You can’t help everyone.
- Believe in a silver-lining.
- Magic is real and sometimes the only explanation.
- What goes around, comes around.
- Stereotypes aren’t always correct.
- Love has limits.
- The way we dress is important.
- If a person irons their jeans, PURE evil.
- Understand the idiots in your life.
- Laugh in the face of danger and then hide until it goes away.
- Life is about how you react to what happens to you.
Without fail, Buffy helps you navigate the world in a way that is uniquely her own. The way she handles herself, her life, her circumstance, love, friendship is something we should all take note of. And if you life under the darkest rock in the world and have never watched a single episode, do yourself a favour. Buffy the Vampire Slayer will make you laugh, think and realize how much of a badass she really was.